About Me

David and I are first time parents. We have been married over 7 years and share a wonderful life together. We have a 6 and 1/2-year old black Lab named Kona. And now we have our beautiful daughter, Rachel. We enjoy traveling, playing tennis, movies and music/going to concerts. We are excited to share our life experiences with you. Enjoy!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Starting day care


Today was Rachel's first day at day care. She actually doesn't start until Monday the 22nd, but the center allows one free week before the official start date.

We started looking at day care back in early 2008, not long after we found out we were pregnant. I understood it could be a challenge to find a place with no waiting list, or to get your name on a waiting list for availability when you need it. I researched a lot of options near our house and found about 8 day care centers.

One Friday in April David and I took the day off and went to visit all these day cares. We were able to narrow the list down to two. Some were not conveniently located, some were too expensive, some were not a fit to what we imagined her day care should be, and one was an utter nightmare - everything you can think of that could be wrong with day care all rolled into one center. That was a definite NO!

We sent in our registration deposits to the two centers we liked the best to make sure to hold our spots. No waiting lists - they were ready for Rachel as of mid-October. Well, that was when I was due August 1st. Since Rachel came one month early we needed day care one month earlier as well. After I came home from the hospital with her I called the two centers and indicated we needed day care as of mid-September. No problem - our spots were still held and available whenever we needed them.

After Rachel was born, David and I went back to visit the two we had narrowed down to and decided on one. The other still has our place on hold just in case. But we officially enrolled her in the one we liked the best and today was her first day.

Yesterday David and I spent a lot of time getting her things together. We need to provide diapers, wipes, 2 extra sets of clothing, bibs and bottles. We went to Babies 'R Us and Target to get the supplies we needed. We included some socks and two blankets as well. I had completed all the registration paperwork this week and had the doctor fill out her form to verify she has been vaccinated - we were ready to go.

It was a hard day. I started getting upset before we even left the house today. And then when we got there and I had to leave her - oh boy! Good thing I brought tissues with me since I figured I wouldn't be able to handle it.

We left the paperwork at the front desk, signed her in, were given the code to get to the infant room and brought Rachel down there. The staff is so nice there. They remembered meeting us before and were happy to see Rachel. Everyone heard there was a new baby today and came to see and meet her. It was very nice.

We gave the staff all her belongings and reviewed the details of feeding, sleeping, what she likes, doesn't like, and mentioned the all important froggie pacifier that can solve most problems. She gets her own crib, cubby and drawer. We can bring family pictures to put around the crib. They wash and change all the linens every night and wash the mattresses. They also wash and disinfect all the toys every night.

And then it was time for David and I to leave. Of course I cried again. I did take one last look at her. One of the staff members was holding her and talking to her, trying to get her settled in. I had a full day of errands planned so I got on my way and David headed to work.

I picked her up around 330PM. She had been there 6 hours. I figured that was enough for her first day. When she goes next week it will be closer to 10 hours by the time David drops her off and I pick her up. It seemed like she had a good day and we'll look forward to going back on Wednesday. We have other plans tomorrow and will not be going to day care. And Wednesday is picture day at the center so maybe we'll have some professional pictures to share.

I am sure there will be more stories from day care so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'm crying as I'm reading this!