About Me

David and I are first time parents. We have been married over 7 years and share a wonderful life together. We have a 6 and 1/2-year old black Lab named Kona. And now we have our beautiful daughter, Rachel. We enjoy traveling, playing tennis, movies and music/going to concerts. We are excited to share our life experiences with you. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Firsts


Monday was my first day back to work, and Rachel's first official day at day care. It's hard to believe my 11 weeks of maternity leave are over. I'm not sure how they went so fast or how that happened. At the beginning it seemed like so much time. And then all of a sudden, it ended.

So it was back to work.
We got Rachel dressed in a new outfit we bought specifically for her first day...a little purple corduroy jumper with a flowered onesie underneath. So cute! David has the morning drop-off so he left with Rachel and I went to my office.

My office needed to be cleaned since no one had been in it for three months - it was quite dusty. So I started the day with some fall cleaning. I had a morning meeting with my coworker Chris to get up to speed on what had been happening with the recruiting team. He and I manage the department together. I have 5 recruiters, he has 8. We talked about some items that were outstanding when I left - and you know what's funny...not much had changed on some things! But some things had moved along, so I need to get caught up on them.

Then I had lunch with my recruiting team. We enjoyed a nice Italian lunch, plus dessert of course! It was fun to be with them again - the group dynamic seems to be good and they seem to get along great as usual. The newest recruiter Sally, who started on July 7th - yes, the day I came home from the hospital after having Rachel- seems to fit right in. I felt bad for her initially - she got thrown into her role with no training or help from me. Since I had Rachel early, I was not there when she started. She called me a few times early in my maternity leave since she was just getting ramped up and no one else was able to answer specific questions she had about the positions she was working on. I expected to have 3-5 weeks with her before I went on maternity leave. She has been doing fine, but is so glad to have me back!

Then I met with each team member individually in the afternoon - just to catch up on what they have been working on and what their expectations were of me coming back as their manager. They haven't had direct management in three months, so I wanted to understand how can I best help them now that I am back. My role is different too since we hired Sally - she is taking a lot of the recruiting responsibilities I had before so that I can concentrate on being a manager and more strategic duties within the department.

I only called to check on Rachel once - at 2PM. I found out later that night from David that he had called too - around 1230PM. When I called she was in the swing, laughing and smiling. When David had called she was eating. They say she is very happy there and that she is a very good girl. I hope that continues to be the case. It was hard to leave her yesterday morning, and I was teary when I got to my office and was talking with my coworker Kevin - who also has a child in day care.

It was so good to pick her up at the end of the day - to snuggle her and see her laugh and smile myself.

And we did it all over again today....

No comments: